Become a Board Member or Advisor
Serving on a professional board with licensed practitioners and members of the public is a rewarding opportunity. Your contributions help us provide an important service to your community. Please see the current openings listed below.
The work of OPR includes these four distinct but essential components:
- Licensing administration to issue and renew licenses to qualified individuals and businesses;
- Independent enforcement capabilities to screen, investigate and prosecute complaints of unprofessional conduct;
- An inspection program where necessary; and
- An independent quasi-judicial administrative law division to adjudicate licensing and enforcement cases.
Duties and Details
- Board membership is a gubernatorial appointment. The Governor may request nominations from any source but shall not be bound to select board members from among the persons nominated. (3 V.S.A. Chapter 5, Subchapter 3, § 129b).
- Advisors are appointed by the Secretary of State. The Secretary may request nominations from any source but shall not be bound to select advisors from among the persons nominated. (3 V.S.A. Chapter 5, Subchapter 3, § 129b)
- Vermont statutes governing board member and advisor appointments can be found in 3 V.S.A. Chapter 5 Subchapter 3.
- Board members are appointed to serve for staggered five-year terms, serving not more than two consecutive terms, as regulated by statute. (Filling a vacancy created before the end of a term shall not be deemed as having created a term).
- You may be asked to serve on an “I-team”, an investigative team including the OPR Case Manager and OPR Prosecuting Attorney that supports an investigation of unprofessional conduct. The investigations and materials will be assembled for you and shared prior to participating in a phone meeting that most often lasts about ½ hour. You may occasionally be asked additional questions to support an investigation.
- Compensation is provided at $50.00 per board meeting, plus mileage reimbursement, as regulated by statute.
- Due to the dynamic nature of these appointments, the Governor’s Office website may not match the opening identified by OPR. Please see our current vacancies and submit an application indicating the board(s) you are interested in serving.
Current vacancies (as of November 15, 2016)
Board meetings take place at OPR's Montpelier office. Depending on the agenda, meetings may run into the afternoon.
(link to governing statutes)
|Vacancy Type||Typical Meeting Schedule|
|Board of Osteopathic Physicians & Surgeons||Public Member||March, June, September, December
2nd Thursday at 10:00 a.m.
|Real Estate Commission (Board)||Public Member||Monthly
4th Thursday at 9:00 a.m.
|Board of Professional Engineering||Public Member||Monthly
1st Thursday at 8:30 a.m.
|Board of Real Estate Appraisers||Professional Member||Even Months
1st Wednesday at 9:00 a.m.
|Board of Nursing||Professional (LPN)||
2nd Monday at 9:00 a.m.
|Board of Allied Mental Health Practitioners||Professional (Non-Licensed / Non-Certified Counselor)||
3rd Thursday at 8:00 a.m.
|Board of Allied Mental Health Practitioners||Public Member||
3rd Thursday at 8:00 a.m.
|Wastewater Designer||Advisor Member|
|Wastewater Operator||Advisor Member|
- Application for Gubernatorial Appointment (for Board professions)
- Application for Advisor Appointment (for Advisor professions)
Save the application to your computer before typing. If not enough space is provided for your answers, you may add an attachment. A résumé may also be attached. To send your application, click on the submit button on the last page. This will prepare an email with your application attached to Jessica Gingras, Director of Boards and Commissions (for a Gubernatorial Appointment application) or the Secretary of State's office (for an Advisor Appointment application). You may also attach other documents such as a resumé to this email. You will have an opportunity to review this email before sending.
Questions regarding board appointments
Director, Appointments to Boards and Commissions
Governor’s Office (802) 828-3333
Questions regarding advisor appointments
Administrative Services Manager
Office of Professional Regulation (802) 828-2191
Attention Mac users: By default, the application opens in Preview mode on most Macs. The application must be opened instead with Adobe Reader™. Download the free Adobe Reader™ software here: http://www.adobe.com/products/reader.html