Vermont State Archives and Records Administration (VSARA)
The Vermont State Archives and Records Administration is a division within the Office of the Secretary of State. It is the mission of VSARA to:
- Establish and administer a records management program for Vermont public agencies;
- Promote sound records management principles and practices;
- Store inactive or semi-active State agency records according to record schedules;
- Appraise public records for continuing administrative, legal, or historic value;
- Preserve and enhance access to the State government’s archival records; and
- Where appropriate, convert records to different formats for access or preservation purposes.
To achieve this mission VSARA will establish and maintain partnerships with other public agencies and organizations, including the Department of Information and Innovation and its different units in order to effectively manage digital records.
The statutory authorities for VSARA are primarily within 3 V.S.A. §117 and 3 V.S.A. §218, which in turn support the requirements within Chapter I, Art. 6th of the Vermont Constitution for the accountability of public officials to the citizens they serve.
This page was last updated on: 2012-06-13.